Thursday, June 22, 2017 -
9:00am to 12:00pm
Backdrop CMS is for the small to medium sized business, non-profits, educational institutions, and companies or organizations who are delivering comprehensive websites on a budget. This introductory training will cover the basics of creating and administering a website with Backdrop CMS.
Intro to Backdrop CMS (presentation)
- A brief presentation on the philosophy of Backdrop CMS.
Hands-On Site Building:
- Exploring Pages & Posts: Content types & fields are almost the same in Backdrop CMS as they were in Drupal 7. As soon as you master some slight terminology changes you'll be cooking with gas!
- Creating and modifying Layouts: Backdrop CMS has a new top-level concept (like modules and themes): Layouts. Separating page layout from the look & feel of your site means lots of good things for your site-building experience. Let's play!
- Building lists of your content with Views: Views was the #1 downloaded contributed module for Drupal 7. It's been moved into core for Backdrop CMS just like in Drupal 8. Let's take it for a quick test drive so you can see that other than it's facelift, not much has changed.
- Extending your site with a Module: Modules for backdrop are very similar to modules for Drupal 7, but in Backdrop the can be installed quickly without needing to leave your own website. Let's use the project browser to install your favorite module.
- Deploying changes using Configuration Management: One of the time-saving features Backdrop includes is the ability to package and deploy configuration from one site to another. Let's practice deploying to a Pantheon site to see how quick and easy it can be.
- You will need to set up a free account on Pantheon.io. If you don't have one already, please use this link: https://dashboard.getpantheon.com/register
- Once you have a pantheon account, you can install Backdrop on Pantheon by using this link: https://dashboard.pantheon.io/products/backdrop/spinup
Note: You must register for the camp and be logged into your account in order to register for this event.